Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Another week on Peruvian food

This past week we have worked with the children each day... Mon to Fri. We teach them all about the parts of the body, what you can buy in a supermarket, the meanings of words showing the opposites .... all in English. It really helps us with our Spanish. Each Friday we have sports and Rob loves being the umpire for the Aussie rules... a mixture of all football games... I think. I hate playing the volley ball as my arms ache for days.
Every two months the children with the highest marks get a gift. Last Friday we had to wrap up about 20 gifts and distribute these to the children. The look on their faces are something we will always remember.
Over the past week Rob and I have been cooking some of he meals. We have done scrambled eggs, Italian pasta, plain meat and vegs and fruit cocktail .... many fruits done in the blender. Nilton and Ely just love the food... I guess it is just different to them. Poor little Andre.... their 5 year old son.... was not too sure of it.
In Huancayo.... about 20 mins drive from here, they have built a large modern shopping centre and supermarket. The local people are absolutely amazed by it. The children just look at the elevator and watch people go up and down. Next week we are taking 16 children from the poor villages to this centre as there is a cinema and they have never seen the large town, not to mention a cinema.
Last night we went to a typically Perivuan cafe and Rob and I had our first taste of ox heart kebabs. Very nice but Rob could not come at the tripe. ugh....
That is all for now. I will try a few photos later.
Maxine and Robert. xxx

1 comment:

  1. Maxine and Rob
    Keep up the good work - you are doing a wonderful job.
    Just over 1 inch of rain here this weekend which has been lovely for the gardens and dams.
    Look forward to seeing more photos.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete